Dental Implants for Gig Harbor, WA
What is it and when is it appropriate?
Dental Implants are designed to provide a foundation for replacement teeth that look, feel and function like natural teeth. They offer benefits that other tooth replacement options simply cannot match. With modern and medical advances, the procedure is safe and completed with minimal discomfort. The person who has lost teeth regains the ability to eat virtually anything and can smile with confidence, knowing that teeth appear natural. The implants are tiny titanium roots, the bone then grows around the titanium, creating a strong foundation for replacement teeth.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Receiving a dental implant can seem daunting – after all, an implant is inserted into your gum to replace a missing tooth. However, with modern medical advances, the procedure is safe and completely pain-free. Dental implants offer benefits that other tooth replacement options simply cannot match. When you take advantage of this restorative dentistry option, you will be able to take advantage of these benefits:
- Match Your Natural Teeth: An implant looks and functions exactly like a natural tooth. Not only will it match your natural teeth, but you won’t experience any slippage or alignment issues with an implant. Nobody will even know it’s there.
- Prevent Bone Loss: When you lose teeth, you also tend to lose bone mass in your jaw. Dental implants maintain jaw stimulation, which helps to prevent bone loss.
- Enable Natural Use: With an implant, you won’t need to remove any devices in order to speak or chew as normal. Dental implants allow you to go about your business as you always have with no disruption whatsoever.
- Easy Upkeep: While you don’t have to worry about cavities, it’s still important to care for your implant. Dental implants are easy to maintain; you won’t have to purchase any special products to clean or care for them. Just brush and floss the way you do with your natural teeth!
To find out whether you are a good candidate for dental implants, reach out to our dentist office today!
What is the procedure?
- Implants require a close working relationship between our dentists and our surgical specialists. We recommend several local surgeons and will actively help you select the best surgeon for your needs.
- The implant fixture is placed by the surgeon. This is done while the patient is sleeping or under local anesthetic and generally is associated with only mild local discomfort lasting a few days.
- For the following 3-6 months the implant is allowed to stabilize, which means beneath the surface of the gums the jawbone will gradually fill around the implant. You should be able to wear a temporary crown or retainer and eat comfortably during this time.
- When the implant is stable, typically after 3-6 months of healing, an impression is taken. Dr. Kvinsland and Dr. Skifstad work closely with our lab to design the final crown, bridgework, or denture that will be fitted to the implant.
Are implants right for me?
Each patient is unique. In determining if implants are right for you we will ask for you to undergo a dental/radiographic examination and health history. Once it is determined if implants are right for you, our dentists and our team of specialists will coordinate the surgery, laboratory work, and restorative work, as well as focus on your questions, concerns, care and comfort.